Mar 11, 2012
"I'm confused. Did she agree to a price already and wants to back out? If not, how can a private company, especially one from another country, possibly have the ability or legal right to use eminent domain. There must be a number of facts I'm not aware of and are too voluminous to put in an article."
Kind of, as I understand it, she went thru the process. First she did not accept any of Transcanada's offers. It then went to a hearing in front of special commissioners who would have deemed a fair market value that Transcanada would pay. At that point, she did not accept the hearings decision of payment. Regardless, Transcanada would then be granted the right to access the easement even while Crawford appealed to district court, she can only appeal the monetary decision. Then her attorneys took the restraining order route and here we are today.
Hope that helps.